Camp ROAR came to a close yesterday and we reflected on a week filled with fun, friendships new and old, fellowship between our teens and youth. We experienced camaraderie and team building not just amongst the children, but between us as parents, too!
This year we were especially blessed to be able to accommodate twice the campers from last year and extend it to an entire week! PAK’s goal was to make this available and affordable to as many children that we could accommodate for only $25 per child. This was financially made possible because PAK was awarded a grant from the Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE). This grant extensively supplemented the cost to us as parents.
We received a second grant from FARE due to PAK’s extensive participation in the 2015 FARE Walk. As the FARE Community grant will stretch throughout the year, our PAK children will have more and more opportunities to continue to make friendships through laser tag, bowling, movie nights, allergy management workshops and countless other activities.
A heartfelt THANK YOU to the incredible team of people that shared their skills and time with our children! These are the great activities we were able to provide to the children this year:
- Football skills with N Zone sports, retired NFL player, James Lee https://www.nzonesports.com/mecklenburg/about-us
- Wood Sculpture Activity with Heather from HLM studio https://www.facebook.com/hlmstudio39
- Yoga techniques from Tracy Mott from Be Yoga www.beyogaandwellness.com
- Paracord bracelet making with Alli Purvis from Allergy Mom Depot www.allergymomdepot.com
- Anti-bullying, self confidence, defense skills with Tae Kwon Do America www.wilsonstaekwondo.com
- Gardening, painting, science, t-shirt making with Carrie Merner
- Soccer skills, teamwork with Soccer Coach, Tom Purvis
- Food allergy management workshops with Valerie Glascock, MA, LPA, Open Door Psychological Services, 704-277-6625 and Kim Engel-Hughes, MA, NCC, LPC email@example.com 803-547-1106
Volunteers: Heather Chait, Jennifer Coffey, Jennifer Youse, Minal Thakore, Anne Marie
Teen Volunteers: Maddison Khire, KayCee Coffey, Abby Kunz, Kyle Stokes, Arjun Thakore, Claudia Michaels
This camp was made financially possible through a community award from FARE, Food Allergy Research & Education. www.foodallergy.org
Last and most certainly not least, THANK YOU to Raquel Durban, MS, RD, LDN and Food Allergy Institute of Charlotte. Raquel has dedicated countless hours to support both PAK and the EGID community through the Charlotte Supports EOS support network.
[gallery ids="1240,1241,1242,1243,1244,1245,1246,1247" type="rectangular"]
Posted on Sat, July 9, 2016
by pakcharlotte filed under